Thursday, October 21, 2010

co-op virgin no more

My latest grocery shopping trip was to my local co-op, a first for me. Thoughts:
  • I felt "hip," kind of in a cool way, but more in a hippy way
  • I should have ridden my bicycle there
  • I felt healthy just entering the place; "organic" was everywhere, that means healthy, right?
  • I felt proud to support the local economy by purchasing all these local goods (What a great battle, but what an uphill battle....)
  • I was surprised to find that you can still find good prices compared to a normal store
And maybe the biggest thought:
  • The cereal aisle just didn't do it for me. I'm a fan of healthy cereal, but walking down the aisle all I could think was "tastes like cardboard." And I'm right, it does taste like cardboard
Moral of the story: Love co-ops (healthy, support local, feel cool...); however, buy cereal elsewhere.

6 comments:

Leah said...

did you go to mississippi? (yes i had to spell that out in my head first).

Melissa said...

Ha ha! Should I send you some patchouli and a hemp over-the-shoulder bag? Do you only listen to Bob Marley now?

Just kidding...I like co-ops too!

Michelle Glauser said...

Nice work. I like Honey Bunches of Oats with strawberries or peaches. I feel like they're healthy and that the don't like cardboard.

Andrew said...

Bryce, check out this article about this coop that give money back to its patrons: http://www.startribune.com/business/105576133.html?elr=KArksUUUQDa_7Eia_DkEP7Dh_8c8O7EyU.

Daniel and Marian said...

Way to go Bryce, we'll have to talk coops sometime, I'm a big fan! Especially after reading books by Michael Pollan, you should check some of them out from the library!

4-Slyce said...

I actually just watched Food Inc... Interesting flick, maybe a bit extreme in some ways, but a good message in the end. Supporting local is good and healthier..