Thursday, April 05, 2007

crying babies


Yesterday I had the chance to witness the "demonstrations" on campus. Call me a Democrat, a Republican, I don't care. Let's be logical with the situation. The following is my beef with the Anti-Cheneyites:
  • In their "statement" of protest, they say, "We recognize the Board of Trustees as those holding the authority to extend invitations to Commencement speakers, and do not wish this to be misconstrued as an attack on university or church leadership." They don't want to attack the brethren, yet they are saying that the decision is awful and wrong. (For the entertaining protest purpose, click here.) Where's the line of "attacking" university or church leadership?
  • Alright, these protesters are so concerned with Mr. Cheney coming on campus because of "bad choices" he has made... What if Pres. Bill Clinton was to speak at commencement? Then would they protest that he is not a moral man, and it might be bad for BYU to appear to support such actions...? No, they would welcome him with open arms, and so would I.
  • (Note: this "beef" may not be as valid...) Also, many of them our proud "liberals." It's very paradoxical. What happened to BYU liberal's open-mindedness? Let him come, then criticize him. Yeah for conservative BYU liberals!
I don't care what party you call yourself. Stop trying to get attention. Protesters = Crying babies, crying for nothing.

5 comments:

4-Slyce said...

Note: Don't get me wrong I think it's good that there's these "demonstrations." I think it's good for BYU. I just want to point out how attention hungry the Democrat demonstrators are.

Eric Harker said...

But don't you think the title "crying babies" is somewhat slanderous?

stern mister serious said...

Way to stick it to them, 4-Slyce. If a baby's crying, you can call it a crying baby.

4-Slyce said...

It depends on your definition of "somewhat" and "slanderous." I'm not sure if saying "crying babies" really damages someone's reputation. But, Eric, maybe you have a good point, I probably took things to a slander level. Or was it just a silly metaphor on my blog...?

Eric Harker said...

Yes, you could have been using a clever metaphor. I can't hold it against you. I just think this issue has been taken to extremes on both sides.